NASA's $1 billion Jupiter probe just beamed back even more jaw-dropping photos of the planet's tireless storm clouds

Joined: October 24th, 2017, 9:43 am

June 1st, 2018, 11:15 pm #1

Juno, a tennis-court-size NASA probe at Jupiter, recently sent scientists a new batch of data, and the photos it included are even more stunning than the last set.

NASA launched Juno toward Jupiter in August 2011 and the probe arrived in July 2016. Every 53.5 days since then, Juno has performed an orbital maneuver called a perijove.

During a perijove, the probe dives over the north pole, screams past the Jovian cloud tops at 130,000 mph, and exits at the south pole. This highly elliptical loop helps protect the spacecraft's electronics from Jupiter's powerful radiation fields while also allowing it to record unprecedented observations.

The $1-billion mission successfully pulled off its 13th perijove on May 24. Fans of the mission like graphic artist Seán Doran and NASA software engineer Kevin M. Gill have since processed the raw image files into colorful works of art.

Here are some of the most jaw-dropping pictures from Juno's latest trip around Jupiter.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jupiter- ... -13-2018-5
Will Munny in 'Unforgiven': "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 19th, 2016, 1:42 am

June 30th, 2018, 12:20 am #2

How did it take a selfie?

"if that **** wins we'll all hang from nooses"
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 19th, 2016, 1:42 am

June 30th, 2018, 12:21 am #3

Looks like my first Bowling Ball :cheers:

"if that **** wins we'll all hang from nooses"
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 18th, 2016, 2:12 am

July 5th, 2018, 11:23 pm #4

Robertr2000 wrote:How did it take a selfie?

Digital silhouette shopped onto a real Jupiter image.

"This artist concept of Juno flying over Jupiter was created using imagery of Jupiter captured by Juno during Perijove 7 on July 11th, 2017. Rendered using actual data captured by the spacecraft during the flyover. Data: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS/SwRI/Kevin M. Gill. Juno Model: NASA/JPL-Caltech Rendered using Autodesk Maya and Adobe Photoshop."

Last edited by nNeo on July 5th, 2018, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Strong people don’t need strong leaders.”
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 19th, 2016, 1:42 am

July 6th, 2018, 6:42 pm #5

nNeo wrote:
Robertr2000 wrote:How did it take a selfie?

Digital silhouette shopped onto a real Jupiter image.

"This artist concept of Juno flying over Jupiter was created using imagery of Jupiter captured by Juno during Perijove 7 on July 11th, 2017. Rendered using actual data captured by the spacecraft during the flyover. Data: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS/SwRI/Kevin M. Gill. Juno Model: NASA/JPL-Caltech Rendered using Autodesk Maya and Adobe Photoshop."
So not a real picture.

got it
"if that **** wins we'll all hang from nooses"
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 19th, 2016, 1:42 am

July 6th, 2018, 6:46 pm #6

"if that **** wins we'll all hang from nooses"
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 24th, 2017, 9:43 am

July 6th, 2018, 8:30 pm #7

Robertr2000 wrote:
nNeo wrote:
Robertr2000 wrote:How did it take a selfie?

Digital silhouette shopped onto a real Jupiter image.

"This artist concept of Juno flying over Jupiter was created using imagery of Jupiter captured by Juno during Perijove 7 on July 11th, 2017. Rendered using actual data captured by the spacecraft during the flyover. Data: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS/SwRI/Kevin M. Gill. Juno Model: NASA/JPL-Caltech Rendered using Autodesk Maya and Adobe Photoshop."
So not a real picture.
My first clue was the caption on the picture in the story ... "An illustration of NASA's Juno probe flying over Jupiter.NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI/MSSS/Kevin M. Gill (CC BY 2.0)"

So, DUH!!!

Will Munny in 'Unforgiven': "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 19th, 2016, 1:42 am

July 14th, 2018, 11:24 pm #8

RaiderNation wrote:
Robertr2000 wrote:
nNeo wrote:
Robertr2000 wrote:How did it take a selfie?

Digital silhouette shopped onto a real Jupiter image.

"This artist concept of Juno flying over Jupiter was created using imagery of Jupiter captured by Juno during Perijove 7 on July 11th, 2017. Rendered using actual data captured by the spacecraft during the flyover. Data: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS/SwRI/Kevin M. Gill. Juno Model: NASA/JPL-Caltech Rendered using Autodesk Maya and Adobe Photoshop."
So not a real picture.
My first clue was the caption on the picture in the story ... "An illustration of NASA's Juno probe flying over Jupiter.NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI/MSSS/Kevin M. Gill (CC BY 2.0)"

So, DUH!!!
Are any of them real Mr Flat Earther?



NASA spent a billion dollars, News Release and a fake picture.

Maybe instead of Dismantling ICE we target NASA? :dunno: Just a thought.
Last edited by Robertr2000 on July 14th, 2018, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"if that **** wins we'll all hang from nooses"
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 24th, 2017, 9:43 am

July 15th, 2018, 9:34 am #9

Oh, are your little feelings hurt 'cuz you missed the caption and looked the fool? So sorry. :biggrin:

'Mt Flat Earther'? Where does that come from, conspiracy boy?
Will Munny in 'Unforgiven': "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 5th, 2016, 12:55 am

July 15th, 2018, 11:49 pm #10

RaiderNation wrote:Oh, are your little feelings hurt 'cuz you missed the caption and looked the fool? So sorry. :biggrin:

'Mt Flat Earther'? Where does that come from, conspiracy boy?
Now now...simmer down.....no need to get hostile on a no hostility board... :dunno:

Last edited by clone on July 15th, 2018, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Democrats are losing their slaves. For the second time...#WalkAway
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 24th, 2017, 9:43 am

July 16th, 2018, 10:12 am #11

This is NOT a no-hostility board.
Will Munny in 'Unforgiven': "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."
Quote
Like
Share