Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The "Office"
Topic Started: Apr 20 2017, 08:44 PM (775 Views)
stretch351c
Member Avatar

Took this while sitting in the bunk of my 2012 Freightliner Cascadia the other day
Attached to this post:
Attachments: office2.jpg (107.1 KB)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
Terry Pratchett
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Stretch: attach your pic, click on the link, copy the URL, post as an IMAGE. Simple.

Posted Image
Edited by wilmywood8455, Apr 20 2017, 08:48 PM.
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.

stretch351c
Member Avatar

wilmywood8455
Apr 20 2017, 08:46 PM
Posted Image
Thanks, I didn't know how to get it show up like that.
Terry Pratchett

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

We're here to help, my friend.
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
A silly question ( I know I could look it up but I will ask here since you are in the business) do they build automatic transmissions for the big trucks these days or are they all still manual transmissions?

I know the military has some automatics on a few of their heavy trucks but those are not built for constant duty long haul like a Freightliner
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Demagogue
Apr 21 2017, 04:21 PM
A silly question ( I know I could look it up but I will ask here since you are in the business) do they build automatic transmissions for the big trucks these days or are they all still manual transmissions?

I know the military has some automatics on a few of their heavy trucks but those are not built for constant duty long haul like a Freightliner

stretch351c
Member Avatar

Demagogue

Actually, more and more heavy trucks are built with automatics. The mega fleets are hurting for drivers, and using autos is the fastest, and least expensive way to get them through what passes for "driving schools" these days. Some states have gotten to the point where if you obtained your CDL on an auto, that is all you are allowed to drive. I learned to drive on an old 2 stoke Detroit and got my first CDL in a 69 Peterbuilt cabover with a Cummins engine and a 2 stick transmission.
Terry Pratchett

thoughtless
Member Avatar

I got my CDL a little over 50 years ago.

Right after my 16th birthday, I took a written test, and they gave me a CDL (no driving test or training required).

That summer I drove a milk truck. It's a wonder I didn't kill anybody, because I drove that truck (which had bad brakes) just like you would expect a 16 year old to.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
stretch351c
Apr 21 2017, 09:10 PM
Demagogue

Actually, more and more heavy trucks are built with automatics. The mega fleets are hurting for drivers, and using autos is the fastest, and least expensive way to get them through what passes for "driving schools" these days. Some states have gotten to the point where if you obtained your CDL on an auto, that is all you are allowed to drive. I learned to drive on an old 2 stoke Detroit and got my first CDL in a 69 Peterbuilt cabover with a Cummins engine and a 2 stick transmission.
That is funny that they give out an Auto only CDL rather than training folks properly. My brother learned in the late 1970's and after getting his license had to essentially be an apprentice to another driver for a while before they ever let him have a long haul rig by himself.

He taught me how to use the gearbox once. It was a 13 speed that I learned on but he once had an 18 speed which is kind of crazy until you think about the fact that modern light trucks have 10 speed automatics in order to increase fuel economy.

I know the heavy duty wreckers he has driven for the past decade or so all are manual.
Edited by Demagogue, Apr 24 2017, 11:10 AM.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

stretch351c
Member Avatar

Demagogue
Apr 24 2017, 11:09 AM
stretch351c
Apr 21 2017, 09:10 PM
Demagogue

That is funny that they give out an Auto only CDL rather than training folks properly. My brother learned in the late 1970's and after getting his license had to essentially be an apprentice to another driver for a while before they ever let him have a long haul rig by himself.

He taught me how to use the gearbox once. It was a 13 speed that I learned on but he once had an 18 speed which is kind of crazy until you think about the fact that modern light trucks have 10 speed automatics in order to increase fuel economy.

I know the heavy duty wreckers he has driven for the past decade or so all are manual.
The mega fleets are hurting for drivers. They need butts in the seats. I prefer the 13 speed myself, we have one 18 speed and the driver never splits the bottom half of the transmission. It's designed for low speed, high torque requirements like severe mountain grades and such. It all depends on what the truck is being used for. A 10 speed is a good trans but the RPM difference between gears makes it slow to get to highway speeds. The 13 is pretty much the jack of all trades trans., the shorter RPM change between gears allow you to stay in the middle of the powerband of the engine. The nice thing, to me anyway, is that once you start moving, you can pretty much ignore the clutch pedal until you have to come to a complete stop again. Although I tend to use it to take the truck out of gear when coming to a turn at an intersection.
Terry Pratchett

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Automotive · Next Topic »
Add Reply