Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Get out of the fast lane!
Topic Started: Nov 24 2017, 06:12 AM (1,228 Views)
RaiderNation
Member Avatar

GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!

First, people are not flashing at you complaining about your speed. They don’t want you to drive as fast as they need. They are giving the accepted signal for, “I’d like to get by please, can you move right for a sec so I can do that?” That holds true even in Europe, where, generally, people know how to drive.

Second, if you’ve already decided that it’s OK to speed (the law doesn’t state “up to five miles per hour over the posted limit or standard,” mind you), then isn’t it pretty arbitrary to decide “five is enough, but this guy behind me trying to go ten over is clearly out of his mind.” What is special about you that makes it possible for you to divine the absolute maximum speed that is safe for people to drive? (Side question: What is the authority you think you have to enforce your arbitrary decisions on safe speed by blocking up a lane that is intended for you to not be in?)

Third, as has been stated, the law in most states holds that if you are not in the act of passing, you are not to cruise in the left lane. In fact, highway signs exist stating “slower traffic keep right” or “left lane is for passing only” almost everywhere.

This is done for safety and for efficiency. If you simply move out of the way when somebody is behind you, then they get on with their lives, and you no longer have somebody breathing up your rear, so you can get on with yours. Further, if people move right for cars that come up behind them, then we don’t get those mile-long strings of people all wanting to get by, thus clogging the traffic arteries for everyone, and pretty much every flow-based jam can be avoided.

Fourth, you say “I’m not going to get a ticket, just because ‘you are in a hurry.’” This seems to imply that you don’t care that other people desire to use the roadways differently than yourself (which is illegal already, since you are driving over the limit, and you are illegally utilizing the left lane for cruising). It also implies a bit of indignance at the fact that they do. Why is your desire more important than the desire of the person behind you? Especially when, if you moved over, even briefly, you could both be happy.

Fifth, left-lane violations are independent of speed limits. even at the speed limit, you are not supposed to be in the left lane unless you are moving around another vehicle. If you can’t go around the vehicle in the right lane at your maximum allowed speed, get back in traffic behind them, because you’re moving the same speed.

If you’ve ever looked in your rear view, and seen a line of ten or twenty cars behind you in the left lane, and there’s nobody in front of you for a half mile, you might consider why that is, and just put that blinker on, and move right. (The blinker is that little stalk to the left of your steering wheel with little arrows that point up and down. Try it out sometime.)

Hey, plus, bonus! If you move right, and your “speed demon” nemeses whip on by, and then you pass them later pulled by a cop, then you get to tell yourself, “I told you so!” Major schadenfreude moment for you! Your “self-worth” will skyrocket!

Seriously, get over yourself and, get over.

Unattributed
Will Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ringotuna
Member Avatar

And a special FU to those idiots who parallel 18 wheelers in the fast lane for mile after mile after mile.
Ringoism: Never underestimate the advantages of being underestimated.

freightshaker

ringotuna
Nov 25 2017, 05:50 AM
And a special FU to those idiots who parallel 18 wheelers in the fast lane for mile after mile after mile.
That's what you get when you have a 65 MPH truck trying to pass a 63 MPH truck. I've been 25 years behind the wheel of a semi.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
Terry Pratchett

thoughtless
Member Avatar

I spend a lot of time on a four lane state highway with a 70 mph speed limit.

It's really frustrating when you have maybe 40 vehicles a mile, and 30 of them are bunched up behind two assholes parallel to each other going ten miles per hour under the speed limit.

It's against the law in my state, but I'm not aware of the law ever being enforced.
Edited by thoughtless, Nov 27 2017, 10:46 AM.
Without geometry, life is pointless.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
thoughtless
Nov 27 2017, 10:45 AM
I spend a lot of time on a four lane state highway with a 70 mph speed limit.

It's really frustrating when you have maybe 40 vehicles a mile, and 30 of them are bunched up behind two assholes parallel to each other going ten miles per hour under the speed limit.

It's against the law in my state, but I'm not aware of the law ever being enforced.
Generally speaking, I am almost certain that in most states the minimum speed on the interstate is 20 MPH under the speed limit. I think the federally mandated minimum is 40MPH still.

I know for a fact here in Florida the minimum is 50 where the top limit is 70.

I do agree that if you are going to go slow on the interstate you should be in the right lane.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

ringotuna
Member Avatar

freightshaker
Nov 26 2017, 08:30 PM
ringotuna
Nov 25 2017, 05:50 AM
That's what you get when you have a 65 MPH truck trying to pass a 63 MPH truck. I've been 25 years behind the wheel of a semi.
Most truckers have better sense. I'm talking about the idiot 4 wheelers who haven't got the sense to get on around an 18 wheeler. It's a dangerous place to be.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
RaiderNation
Nov 24 2017, 06:12 AM

First, people are not flashing at you complaining about your speed. They don’t want you to drive as fast as they need. They are giving the accepted signal for, “I’d like to get by please, can you move right for a sec so I can do that?” That holds true even in Europe, where, generally, people know how to drive.

Second, if you’ve already decided that it’s OK to speed (the law doesn’t state “up to five miles per hour over the posted limit or standard,” mind you), then isn’t it pretty arbitrary to decide “five is enough, but this guy behind me trying to go ten over is clearly out of his mind.” What is special about you that makes it possible for you to divine the absolute maximum speed that is safe for people to drive? (Side question: What is the authority you think you have to enforce your arbitrary decisions on safe speed by blocking up a lane that is intended for you to not be in?)

Third, as has been stated, the law in most states holds that if you are not in the act of passing, you are not to cruise in the left lane. In fact, highway signs exist stating “slower traffic keep right” or “left lane is for passing only” almost everywhere.

This is done for safety and for efficiency. If you simply move out of the way when somebody is behind you, then they get on with their lives, and you no longer have somebody breathing up your rear, so you can get on with yours. Further, if people move right for cars that come up behind them, then we don’t get those mile-long strings of people all wanting to get by, thus clogging the traffic arteries for everyone, and pretty much every flow-based jam can be avoided.

Fourth, you say “I’m not going to get a ticket, just because ‘you are in a hurry.’” This seems to imply that you don’t care that other people desire to use the roadways differently than yourself (which is illegal already, since you are driving over the limit, and you are illegally utilizing the left lane for cruising). It also implies a bit of indignance at the fact that they do. Why is your desire more important than the desire of the person behind you? Especially when, if you moved over, even briefly, you could both be happy.

Fifth, left-lane violations are independent of speed limits. even at the speed limit, you are not supposed to be in the left lane unless you are moving around another vehicle. If you can’t go around the vehicle in the right lane at your maximum allowed speed, get back in traffic behind them, because you’re moving the same speed.

If you’ve ever looked in your rear view, and seen a line of ten or twenty cars behind you in the left lane, and there’s nobody in front of you for a half mile, you might consider why that is, and just put that blinker on, and move right. (The blinker is that little stalk to the left of your steering wheel with little arrows that point up and down. Try it out sometime.)

Hey, plus, bonus! If you move right, and your “speed demon” nemeses whip on by, and then you pass them later pulled by a cop, then you get to tell yourself, “I told you so!” Major schadenfreude moment for you! Your “self-worth” will skyrocket!

Unattributed
Lol, generally I run 0-9 mph over the speed limit. If I am in the left lane though it probably means that I am passing someone. So, if I am in the process of passing 6 or 7 cars that are running 63 in a 70mph zone while I am doing 78 then please do not get on my f*****g ass and flash your lights at me. I am clearly passing these cars because as you can see, they keep falling behind me. Additionally, there is little or no gap in between the cars I am passing so even if I wanted to get over I can not. So, I am doing 8mph OVER the speed limit while passing and you getting on my ass (defined as less than two car lengths behind me because you can not stop your car in 40 feet if I slam on the breaks) you are the person who is the ass in this situation not me.

Generally speaking, I am an extremely considerate driver. I do know how to drive and I do know what someone flashing their lights means but if I am in the process of passing slower traffic and you get on my ass because you want to do 90 rather than 78 guess what is going to happen? If you are the only car behind me what I am going to do is pass all of those cars in the right lane and if you have not gotten off my ass in the time that it takes me to pass them then I am going to slow down to whatever slow ass speed it was that caused me to want to pass them. So long as you are the only one suffering, I will maintain this speed for quite some time. I like to call this "Man in a box" or, in a play on the name of the fast food joint, "Jackass in a box". When and if you get the picture and back the f**k off my rear bumper I will increase my speed and kindly allow you to pass.

:cheers:
Edited by Demagogue, Nov 27 2017, 06:29 PM.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

ringotuna
Member Avatar

Demagogue
Nov 27 2017, 06:25 PM
RaiderNation
Nov 24 2017, 06:12 AM

Unattributed
Lol, generally I run 0-9 mph over the speed limit. If I am in the left lane though it probably means that I am passing someone. So, if I am in the process of passing 6 or 7 cars that are running 63 in a 70mph zone while I am doing 78 then please do not get on my f*****g ass and flash your lights at me. I am clearly passing these cars because as you can see, they keep falling behind me. Additionally, there is little or no gap in between the cars I am passing so even if I wanted to get over I can not. So, I am doing 8mph OVER the speed limit while passing and you getting on my ass (defined as less than two car lengths behind me because you can not stop your car in 40 feet if I slam on the breaks) you are the person who is the ass in this situation not me.

Generally speaking, I am an extremely considerate driver. I do know how to drive and I do know what someone flashing their lights means but if I am in the process of passing slower traffic and you get on my ass because you want to do 90 rather than 78 guess what is going to happen? If you are the only car behind me what I am going to do is pass all of those cars in the right lane and if you have not gotten off my ass in the time that it takes me to pass them then I am going to slow down to whatever slow ass speed it was that caused me to want to pass them. So long as you are the only one suffering, I will maintain this speed for quite some time. I like to call this "Man in a box" or, in a play on the name of the fast food joint, "Jackass in a box". When and if you get the picture and back the f**k off my rear bumper I will increase my speed and kindly allow you to pass.

:cheers:

"then I am going to slow down to whatever slow ass speed it was that caused me to want to pass them."

:hooray:

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Incidentally, usually when some jackass blows by me doing 25mph over the speed limit I try to think nice thoughts and assume that they are rushing to the hospital because their wife is in labor or something. Unfortunately, it is usually just someone who is a jackass and I catch up with them about 3 minutes later once they hit traffic. Then I point at them an laugh uproariously.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

I'm a max 9 over guy. In almost all states that won't get you pulled over. Over 9 over to 14 can, but usually doesn't. 15+ over will almost always get a visit from Trooper Friendly. Fortunately for me, my Sprinter won't go more than 83mph so the temptation isn't there.
Edited by RaiderNation, Nov 27 2017, 06:40 PM.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
RaiderNation
Nov 27 2017, 06:39 PM
I'm a max 9 over guy. In almost all states that won't get you pulled over. Over 9 over to 14 can, but usually doesn't. 15+ over will almost always get a visit from Trooper Friendly. Fortunately for me, my Sprinter won't go more than 83mph so the temptation isn't there.
Here in Florida 0-9 is not a ticket that will break the bank ($129) and most officers won't bother. Almost none bother with 0-5. On the other hand after that 10-14mph over gets into "Well that sucks" territory ($204). They basically tack on $50 for every 5mph more over. If you hit 30mph over though you get to visit the local jail usually and court is mandatory.

http://www.dmvflorida.org/speeding-ticket.shtml

So, if you visit the Sunshine State, it is best to keep it in that 0-9 range. Also, just because the state trooper ignores me doing 10 over in my old white dodge ram 1500 it does NOT mean that he will ignore you doing 6 over in your new, red Camaro or Lexus. They are funny like that.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

The state the vehicle is from can definitely make a difference, also.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
RaiderNation
Nov 27 2017, 07:04 PM
The state the vehicle is from can definitely make a difference, also.
Yep. A tourist speeding is a good way to get a ticket.

The Inquisitor
Member Avatar

I'm shocked that we have admitted law breakers (speeding) among us.... :oyvey
To Become an Expert in BS....First you Must Become a Liberal

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
The Inquisitor
Nov 28 2017, 03:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMkuPiIZ2k

ringotuna
Member Avatar

The Inquisitor
Nov 28 2017, 03:37 AM
It's not illegal unless you get caught. :biggrin:

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Zackly. What we're talkin' about here is stretching the limit, not breaking the law! :biggrin:

ringotuna
Member Avatar

RaiderNation
The posted limit is somewhat more strictly enforced on our 85 mph interstates here in Texas.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
ringotuna
Dec 1 2017, 06:33 AM
RaiderNation
The posted limit is somewhat more strictly enforced on our 85 mph interstates here in Texas.
With an 85mph speed limit I would probably stay in the slow lane and only run 80.

Most US vehicles are designed to run between 55mph and 70mph. There is some math you can do to calculate the vehicle wear for every 10mph above the designed speed but it adds up fast. Add to that the fact that most of my cars are top heavy SUVs and trucks and running faster than 85mph does not sound like a great idea.

Now, long ago I owned a BMW 535 that would happily run 90-110 without even breaking a sweat. Of course it was designed to run those speeds.

clone
Member Avatar
Director @ Center for Advanced Memetic Warfare
Demagogue
Dec 1 2017, 11:07 AM
ringotuna
Dec 1 2017, 06:33 AM
RaiderNation
With an 85mph speed limit I would probably stay in the slow lane and only run 80.

Most US vehicles are designed to run between 55mph and 70mph. There is some math you can do to calculate the vehicle wear for every 10mph above the designed speed but it adds up fast. Add to that the fact that most of my cars are top heavy SUVs and trucks and running faster than 85mph does not sound like a great idea.

Now, long ago I owned a BMW 535 that would happily run 90-110 without even breaking a sweat. Of course it was designed to run those speeds.
Last night I was driving my buddies new Mercedes AMG GTR....Just as I was about to hit the interstate and stomp on that beast a sheriffs car pulls three lanes over and starts tailing me...

I said to my buddy, great....I haven't had a ticket in years and I'm five minutes in your new rocket and even doing 40 miles an hour it looks like we are speeding....thankfully a few minutes later the cop peeled off and I slammed that pedal to the floor and hit 160 in no time flat....

What a sound....sadly I am too tall for the car and the suspension beats you up....and the damn thing shuts off every time you stop....

Still a fun ride...

Posted Image
Liberals, you don't need to re-write The Constitution....You just need to re-read it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Automotive · Next Topic »
Add Reply