Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Southern California fire is 'out of control,' forcing thousands to evacuate
Topic Started: Dec 5 2017, 12:44 PM (429 Views)
Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/05/us/ventura-county-fire-california/index.html

Ventura, California (CNN)Pushed by powerful Santa Ana winds, a fire spread with explosive speed to more than 30,000 acres Monday night and early Tuesday in Southern California's Ventura County, destroying dozens of buildings and forcing thousands to evacuate in the dark.

The fire began north of Santa Paula on Monday evening and spread into the edges of Ventura, a city of more than 100,000 people situated on the Pacific coast, the county sheriff's office said.
The fast-moving fire forced sheriff's deputies to scramble into neighborhoods and knock on doors to warn residents to evacuate.
By early Tuesday the fire had burned 31,000 acres in nine hours -- covering an area more than twice the size of Manhattan at a rate of nearly an acre per second

Latest developments
• About 150 buildings have been destroyed, the sheriff's office said, and more than 7,700 homes in Ventura and Santa Paula were under mandatory evacuation as fire officials warned the powerful winds could push flames further into Ventura.

• A dead animal was found at the site of a rollover car crash near the evacuation zone Monday night, Ventura fire officials said. Initially, authorities reported that a person had died there, but they later clarified that no human body had been found.
• At the fire's roughly acre-per-second burn rate overnight into early Tuesday, it would have covered Manhattan's Central Park in about 15 minutes.

• "The fire is still out of control and structures are threatened throughout the fire area," the Ventura County Sheriff's Office said on a local emergency preparedness website. "Due to the intensity of the fire, crews are having trouble making access, but there are multiple reports of structures on fire."
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Lets all hope that none of our California members are in the path of this thing. My thoughts are with you guys.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

Robertr2000
Member Avatar

Arson. Just like Santa Rosa.
"if that **** wins we'll all hang from nooses"

Coast2coast

It's bad, real bad. Two fires. The Ventura Fire and the Kagel Fire (the closer one to me).
Smoke in the not too distance where I am, but where we are is fine.

The winds are a big problem. Bad enough that prior to the fires starting they already were distributing crews around for a more rapid response and the worst fears were realized.
Winds so bad and smoke so thick that they can't bring in the fixed wings or at times the water dropping helicopters.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Coast2coast
Dec 5 2017, 07:15 PM
It's bad, real bad. Two fires. The Ventura Fire and the Kagel Fire (the closer one to me).

The winds are a big problem. Bad enough that prior to the fires starting they already were distributing crews around for a more rapid response and the worst fears were realized.
Winds so bad and smoke so thick that they can't bring in the fixed wings or at times the water dropping helicopters.

Not cool, we saw some of that here with the big fire they had in the Okefenokee Swamp earlier this year. Same problem with it being dry and high winds.

Mind you, our natural winds are probably nothing compared to yours in Cali. That and it is normally fairly humid here in North Florida/South Georgia. Fire is almost always a bigger problem out west than it is here.

I know crews are coming in to fight these things from all over. Our prayers are with them and everyone in the area. Maybe you can get lucky and have some rain.

Coast2coast

Demagogue
Dec 5 2017, 07:20 PM
Coast2coast

Not cool, we saw some of that here with the big fire they had in the Okefenokee Swamp earlier this year. Same problem with it being dry and high winds.

Mind you, our natural winds are probably nothing compared to yours in Cali. That and it is normally fairly humid here in North Florida/South Georgia. Fire is almost always a bigger problem out west than it is here.

I know crews are coming in to fight these things from all over. Our prayers are with them and everyone in the area. Maybe you can get lucky and have some rain.
We will not unfortunately be getting any rain. The Santa Ana winds are high and they will be with us until Thursday. Worse, the winds don't lay down at night and are at their worse at dawn.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

The Santa Ana winds are hideous as I recall...fast and HOT.
Will Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Coast2coast
Dec 5 2017, 07:25 PM
Demagogue
Coast2coast

We will not unfortunately be getting any rain. The Santa Ana winds are high and they will be with us until Thursday. Worse, the winds don't lay down at night and are at their worse at dawn.

Well crap, I guess let's hope that the firefighters can limit the loss of life. The loss of stuff is horrible and life changing but stuff can be replaced, lives can not.

clone
Member Avatar
Director @ Center for Advanced Memetic Warfare
Demagogue
Coast2coast

Okefenokee Swamp: Best canoe trip ever..... :cheers:
Liberals, you don't need to re-write The Constitution....You just need to re-read it.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
clone
Dec 5 2017, 07:52 PM
Demagogue
Coast2coast

That it is. :cheers:

Coast2coast

Demagogue
Dec 5 2017, 08:09 PM
clone
Dec 5 2017, 07:52 PM
Demagogue
Coast2coast

That it is. :cheers:
Meh. I did that once. Got eatin' by a Gator. Took me three days to get out. :mad:

Coast2coast

Demagogue
Dec 5 2017, 07:34 PM
Coast2coast
Demagogue
Coast2coast

Well crap, I guess let's hope that the firefighters can limit the loss of life. The loss of stuff is horrible and life changing but stuff can be replaced, lives can not.
We now have three fires going and breaking at the moment is a fourth one.

Going to be a long night for many.

Drudge X
Member Avatar

Jerry Brown is gonna blame global warming.
Democrats' front runner for 2020: Daniels/Hogg

clone
Member Avatar
Coast2coast
Dec 5 2017, 08:22 PM
Demagogue
Coast2coast
Demagogue
Coast2coast

Posted Image
Liberals, you don't need to re-write The Constitution....You just need to re-read it.

The Inquisitor
Member Avatar

I've asked this question before....with no real answer.

Does CA do hazard reduction burns?
To Become an Expert in BS....First you Must Become a Liberal

Robert Stout
Member Avatar

God gave the Californians the rain they prayed for and a lot of underbrush, only to burn their perverted azzes later............. :rollseyes:
Jesus can raise the dead, but he can't fix stupid

Coast2coast

The Inquisitor
Dec 5 2017, 11:44 PM

Yes.

Robert Stout
Member Avatar

Coast2coast
Dec 6 2017, 04:17 AM
The Inquisitor
Dec 5 2017, 11:44 PM

Yes.

No....Not if it harms endangered lizards............... :biggrin:
Jesus can raise the dead, but he can't fix stupid

clone
Member Avatar
Coast2coast
Dec 5 2017, 08:22 PM
Demagogue
Coast2coast
Demagogue
Coast2coast

[twitter=WLV_investor/status/938410022538682368]

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Here is a link with some imagery and videos of the fires.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/05/us/california-wildfires-latest/index.html

Scary stuff.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · UnitedStates.com DOMESTIC U.S. news · Next Topic »
Add Reply