Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Essential Phone
Topic Started: Dec 7 2017, 06:10 PM (811 Views)
Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Essential is a new cell phone manufacturer started by one of the guys who originally created the Android OS. Their phone is a different animal because it is absolutely clean coming out of the box. Literally no bloatware including no Google bloatware.

I was going to purchase a Pixel 2XL and the new Pixel headphones in order to play with their rather interesting translation software but then the Pixel 2 XL had some screen issues and I read some reviews where maybe the translation stuff is not quite ready for prime time yet and I was wavering on buying the Pixel.

Then my daughter's phone lost its mind and I told her I would give her my unlocked Galaxy S7 and get something else (still thinking about the Pixel at that time). So in my research I run into these Essential guys. I love the concept of a truly unlocked phone that does not have anything other than android on it. Essential claims they were only going to use the best materials etc etc. The one gripe some folks had was the camera.

When I saw that they dropped the price by $200 I decided to give it a go because It was now only about half the price of the Pixel 2 XL I was looking at. I have had the phone for a week now and honestly this is the first phone I have had since my Nexus 6 that felt perfect right out of the box. The frame is Titanium, the back is ceramic and the front is gorrilla glass 5. The use experience has been spectacular. Due to the clean android it is the fastest phone I have ever used. The hardware specs match those of the Pixel 2 XL (screen is not quite as big). Thus far the battery has lasted 50% longer than the one in my Galaxy S7 did.

The camera is good. In daylight I would put it up against most of the cameras out there. In low light it is not as good as the Pixel, S8, or iPhone X cameras and I am certain that there are other areas where the cameras in those units are superior. The thing is, I have a very nice Canon camera that costs more than any cell phone if I want to take challenging photos so the camera is not a big deal to me.

There are other areas where it is not the same as the big guys. It is not fully water resistant nor does it have wireless charging and for some folks these things might be deal breakers but for me it is not. My son has an S8+ and this phone is much snappier than his. In addition, for me on sprint, the antenna setup (which is compatible with all carriers just like my fully unlocked Galaxy S7) on the Essential Phone has given me far better network connectivity and speed on Sprint. Evidently when Samsung built their unlocked US version of the S7 they did not think they would have a ton of Sprint customers using those phones.

Anyway, I will let folks know how it goes as I use this bad boy over time but so far I am in love with the thing. Add to that I am supporting a new US company that is trying to do something a little different that the other big phone companies and thus far I have no complaints.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
For those who might be curious about Essential Phone, here is their website.

https://www.essential.com/

To be fair, even I have to admit you kind of need to be a bit of a computer nerd to truly appreciate who these guys are and what they are doing lol.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Thanks, D, and please do update us. I'm sure someday I'll have to replace my S6.
Will Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
RaiderNation
Dec 7 2017, 06:43 PM
Thanks, D, and please do update us. I'm sure someday I'll have to replace my S6.
I will. Here is a link to GSM arena with a comparison of the Essential to the S8+ and Pixel 2 XL

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8710&idPhone2=8523&idPhone3=8720#*,g955u,*

You will notice that the Pixel and Essential both have way more LTE bands available to them than the Samsung product. My guess is that this is why my S7's performance on Sprint's network was lacking compared to the Essential.

Otherwise you will see that the specs between them are very similar.

Where the essential phone is different is in the fact that they are a small company and in being small they appear to be releasing security updates and other things really fast. My phone got the update to counter a bunch of the really recent threats this week. In addition, for the adventurous computer nerd types they offer their beta of the new Android OS. Right now I am still running 7.1.1 but if I wanted to go to 8.0 I could just download their current build from their website and load it manually. This is not something that any of the other big phone manufacturers offer.

clone
Member Avatar
Director @ Center for Advanced Memetic Warfare
Demagogue
Dec 7 2017, 06:58 PM
RaiderNation
I will. Here is a link to GSM arena with a comparison of the Essential to the S8+ and Pixel 2 XL

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8710&idPhone2=8523&idPhone3=8720#*,g955u,*

You will notice that the Pixel and Essential both have way more LTE bands available to them than the Samsung product. My guess is that this is why my S7's performance on Sprint's network was lacking compared to the Essential.

Where the essential phone is different is in the fact that they are a small company and in being small they appear to be releasing security updates and other things really fast. My phone got the update to counter a bunch of the really recent threats this week. In addition, for the adventurous computer nerd types they offer their beta of the new Android OS. Right now I am still running 7.1.1 but if I wanted to go to 8.0 I could just download their current build from their website and load it manually. This is not something that any of the other big phone manufacturers offer.
thanks D, i have been looking at the silentcircle blackphone

LINK

and the one+one 5t.......

LINK

will give this a look....
Liberals, you don't need to re-write The Constitution....You just need to re-read it.

Coast2coast

Posted Image

Phone!
Done! :biggrin:

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
clone
Dec 7 2017, 08:11 PM
Demagogue
RaiderNation

LINK

LINK

In the $500 range the OnePlus 5T is arguably the best phone in the world. To be honest, it is arguably one of the best phones in the world at any price range. The only problem with the OnePlus phones is that they are not compatible with Sprint or Verizon in the USA. Needing to be able to switch between Sprint and ATT is what rules that particular phone out for me.

If you are an AT&T or T-Mobile customer and you want to buy a phone direct from the manufacturer the 5T is an excellent choice. Hardware wise it and the Essential Phone are very similar. The OnePlus runs their customized version of Android that they call OxygenOS. It will be bulkier than the clean android of the Essential Phone but if you buy the 128GB model of the 5T you will also get 8GB of ram for your money and that should more than make up for anything OnePlus has added to Android. The $59 price difference between the 5T and the Essential is not a big deal and when you consider that you double the ram with that money it certainly makes the 5T appealing.

Your Blackphone 2 may not be available new anymore here in the USA. IT was also released in 2015 so there is a generational difference between the hardware in that phone and any of the newer options.

Here is a hardware comparison between the 5T, Essential, and S8+

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8912&idPhone2=8710&idPhone3=8523#*,*,g955u

Here is a great video by a guy who gives phones hell on youtube. I wholeheartedly recommend that anyone looking to buy a phone check his page to see if he reviewed the phone you are looking at. If he does a durability and teardown on any phone then you will learn far more than you ever wanted to know about the devices.

Durability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv9Gt38LOKQ

Here is the teardown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1usMCRo108

Edited by Demagogue, Dec 8 2017, 12:19 AM.

thoughtless
Member Avatar

I've been trying to find one of these for sale:

Posted Image
Without geometry, life is pointless.

clone
Member Avatar
Demagogue
Dec 8 2017, 12:18 AM
clone
Dec 7 2017, 08:11 PM
Demagogue
RaiderNation

LINK

LINK

In the $500 range the OnePlus 5T is arguably the best phone in the world. To be honest, it is arguably one of the best phones in the world at any price range. The only problem with the OnePlus phones is that they are not compatible with Sprint or Verizon in the USA. Needing to be able to switch between Sprint and ATT is what rules that particular phone out for me.

If you are an AT&T or T-Mobile customer and you want to buy a phone direct from the manufacturer the 5T is an excellent choice. Hardware wise it and the Essential Phone are very similar. The OnePlus runs their customized version of Android that they call OxygenOS. It will be bulkier than the clean android of the Essential Phone but if you buy the 128GB model of the 5T you will also get 8GB of ram for your money and that should more than make up for anything OnePlus has added to Android. The $59 price difference between the 5T and the Essential is not a big deal and when you consider that you double the ram with that money it certainly makes the 5T appealing.

Your Blackphone 2 may not be available new anymore here in the USA. IT was also released in 2015 so there is a generational difference between the hardware in that phone and any of the newer options.

Here is a hardware comparison between the 5T, Essential, and S8+

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8912&idPhone2=8710&idPhone3=8523#*,*,g955u

Here is a great video by a guy who gives phones hell on youtube. I wholeheartedly recommend that anyone looking to buy a phone check his page to see if he reviewed the phone you are looking at. If he does a durability and teardown on any phone then you will learn far more than you ever wanted to know about the devices.

Durability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv9Gt38LOKQ

Here is the teardown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1usMCRo108

Great videos...the subtle sarcasm combined with the digital voice are awesome....

:cheers:
Liberals, you don't need to re-write The Constitution....You just need to re-read it.

edro14

Coast2coast
Dec 7 2017, 09:06 PM
Posted Image

Phone!
Done! :biggrin:

I have a Green 57 Chevy Bel Air phone on my shelf.

clone
Member Avatar
Demagogue
Dec 7 2017, 06:30 PM
For those who might be curious about Essential Phone, here is their website.

https://www.essential.com/

To be fair, even I have to admit you kind of need to be a bit of a computer nerd to truly appreciate who these guys are and what they are doing lol.
Not really...we all know what they're doing and why.... :popcorn:

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Computers and Telecom · Next Topic »
Add Reply