Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Apple admits to throttling iPhone CPU speed as battery ages
Topic Started: Dec 21 2017, 11:33 AM (1,715 Views)
Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/trending-now/apple-admits-to-throttling-iphone-cpu-speed-as-battery-ages/666938821

Apple has confirmed that its iOS operating system deliberately slows the processor speeds of iPhones as they get older and the batteries deteriorate, prompting anger from some, who say Apple is just trying to trick customers into buying new devices.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Ok, this is just wrong. I knew I hated Apple for more reasons than just iTunes. I wonder what other devices they do this to.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
In another article I found this gem of information.

Quote:

Last year’s software change affected the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, 6S and 6S Plus and SE. This year’s iOS 11.2 extended the feature to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/12/21/your-old-iphone-really-is-getting-slower.html

So, pretty much all iPhone users are going to get hit with slower processor speeds as their phone gets older unless they pony up at least $100 to get apple to replace the battery or get a new phone.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

I miss the days when I could buy and replace a battery myself.
Will Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Apple is being sued after it admitted to slowing down older iPhones

Apple (AAPL) is being sued after it admitted to slowing down older iPhone models to keep them running longer.
On Wednesday, the U.S. technology giant said that it has algorithms in place to help keep an iPhone running at optimal performance if there is an older battery inside that can't keep up with the required power. The aim is to stop unexpected shutdowns of older iPhones and keep them running to the best possible standard.

However, Stefan Bogdanovich and Dakota Speas brought a class action lawsuit in California — where they are residents — against Apple, an official filing revealed Thursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/apple-is-being-sued-after-it-admitted-to-slowing-down-older-iphones/ar-BBH8Fit?li=BBnbfcL

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
RaiderNation
Dec 22 2017, 08:37 AM
Apple is being sued after it admitted to slowing down older iPhones

Apple (AAPL) is being sued after it admitted to slowing down older iPhone models to keep them running longer.
On Wednesday, the U.S. technology giant said that it has algorithms in place to help keep an iPhone running at optimal performance if there is an older battery inside that can't keep up with the required power. The aim is to stop unexpected shutdowns of older iPhones and keep them running to the best possible standard.

However, Stefan Bogdanovich and Dakota Speas brought a class action lawsuit in California — where they are residents — against Apple, an official filing revealed Thursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/apple-is-being-sued-after-it-admitted-to-slowing-down-older-iphones/ar-BBH8Fit?li=BBnbfcL
You had to see this was coming.

edro14

Come get yours the new I Phone starting at $1000.00 accessories extra.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
edro14
Dec 22 2017, 09:55 PM
And for those customers who are happy with their current iPhone, they slow it down so that they will no longer be happy.

Robertr2000
Member Avatar

I have never owned an apple product.

Apple is crap.
"if that **** wins we'll all hang from nooses"

edro14

Demagogue
Dec 23 2017, 12:22 AM
edro14
Dec 22 2017, 09:55 PM
And for those customers who are happy with their current iPhone, they slow it down so that they will no longer be happy.
Another reason why I switch over to an Android this year.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
If you have an older model iPhone then getting a new battery should get cheaper after January.

They are dropping the price from $80 to $30 for the last 11 months of 2018.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/28/technology/apple-battery-apology/index.html

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Probably too little, too late. I foresee a mass exodus to Android coming.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
RaiderNation
Dec 29 2017, 08:29 AM
Probably too little, too late. I foresee a mass exodus to Android coming.
It should be an interesting year. Apple got a huge boost in sales for their iPhone 7 Plus last year from the battery issues that Samsung had on their Note phone. This year the battery problem is gone and the iPhone X has almost nothing about it that makes it different from the android devices of equal quality and size.

I suspect that the iPhone 8 and 8+ will probably do OK but that the iPhone X will not sell anywhere near initial projections. I looked at one of those in the store and they are almost impossible to tell from the various android high end phones. When you couple that with the fact that they start at $1000 I think Apple may have a problem. Basically the only thing that makes it different from an android is the different OS and app store. Unless you were just absolutely in love with the Apple OS over android and can't see anyone spending the extra money.

$1000 minimum for a phone. Think about that, 80 of these (which would easily fit in the back seat of any car) would pay for the Smokey and the Bandit Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgmk5D4a8K8

Colors Plus
Member Avatar

Apple has it so good that it has it too good.

This may get even more interesting.

Colors Plus
Member Avatar

Since this thread is about Apple…

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Colors Plus
Dec 30 2017, 03:33 AM
Since this thread is about Apple…

Just what the heck did you think this thread was about? All of the Jimmy Dore drivel was covered previously.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Give Apple some credit, they realize that they screwed up and have at least worked to come up with a remedy. They were going to wait until late this month to make the $29 battery available but have chosen to make them available now.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/30/apples-29-iphone-battery-replacements-are-available-starting-today/

Quote:

Those $29 battery out-of-warranty replacements Apple promised are now available for impacted users with an iPhone 6 or later. The company was initially aiming for a late-January timeframe in the States when it first offered up the discount, following blowback against its admission that it had slowed down older model phones to maximize performance.

“We expected to need more time to be ready,” the company said in a statement offered up to TechCrunch this weekend, “but we are happy to offer our customers the lower pricing right away. Initial supplies of some replacement batteries may be limited.”
Edited by Demagogue, Jan 2 2018, 01:59 PM.

Colors Plus
Member Avatar

Thank you, for that information, Demagogue!

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Colors Plus
Jan 2 2018, 04:18 PM
Thank you, for that information, Demagogue!
No problem. I am not an Apple user myself but I have kids who have iPhones. Please pass it along to any iPhone 6 and 7 users you know who may be affected by the software as their phones have aged.
Edited by Demagogue, Jan 2 2018, 04:24 PM.

edro14

Don't feel bad for Apple, they will fix what ails their products and come up with great solutions.

As to my remark about my android phone, I may switch back to my windows phone or even my old Apple phone.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Computers and Telecom · Next Topic »
Add Reply