Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Raiders reportedly interested in Jon Gruden and might offer him an ownership stake to coach; I may have to move to Las Vegas if this happens ...
Topic Started: Dec 31 2017, 03:53 AM (923 Views)
RaiderNation
Member Avatar

The Raiders are “preparing to pursue” Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden to be their next head coach, ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported Saturday. The two report that Gruden would be “tempted to accept” a Raiders offer.

The Raiders still have another head coach, Jack Del Rio, whom they haven’t fired. Del Rio went 12-4 and got Oakland to the playoffs in 2016, but the team has declined to finish with a losing record in 2017. So, Del Rio’s future is uncertain.

Gruden, 54, last coached in 2008. He’s most known for his time leading the Buccaneers, where he won a Super Bowl. But he also coached the Raiders from 1998 to 2001, and the Davis family — now led by Mark, not his father Al — still owns the team.

Gruden’s name was connected often this year to the head job at the University of Tennessee, where fans have long been fixated on him. That didn’t materialize, and Gruden has continued in his job as a well-paid TV commentator.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/12/30/16834528/jon-gruden-raiders-coach-espn-mnf

Posted Image

Edited by RaiderNation, Dec 31 2017, 03:55 AM.
Will Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Katoblue
Member Avatar

Vegas is nice! :)

Killary, DNC, Obummer's DOJ and FBI all Lied and Spied and Good People Died!

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Step 1: Del Rio is fired, the job is open
https://sports.yahoo.com/raiders-fire-jack-del-rio-head-coach-tells-reporters-012743093.html

dcbl
Member Avatar
Good guys wear white hats
unpossible

Tennessee fans have told me that Jon is just waiting for the right time to get things rolling in Knoxville
Republicans sign checks on the front, democrats sign them on the back…True story!

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Yeah right. He's a lock for the Raiders. UT fans are delusional about the attractiveness of their program (like most are).

GO DAWGS ... ROLL THAT TIDE :biggrin:
Edited by RaiderNation, Jan 4 2018, 07:26 PM.

_g R_
Member Avatar

RaiderNation
Jan 4 2018, 07:25 PM

GO DAWGS ... ROLL THAT TIDE :biggrin:
Alabama won't be the same after two straight National Championship losses to Clemson and then Georgia.
" When we amplify everything ,we hear nothing."
Jon Stewart

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Report: Jon Gruden will be named Raiders coach on Tuesday, get record-setting deal

It appears ESPN needs to find a new color commentator for “Monday Night Football.”

Jon Gruden will finally make his return to the sideline in 2018. Longtime NFL reporter Steve Corkran of RaidersSnakepit.com reported that the team will introduce Gruden as its new head coach in a news conference on Tuesday. ESPN’s Adam Schefter confirmed the report. It will be interesting to see what Gruden has to say about it on Saturday, when he does his final ESPN broadcast. He is slated to announce the Tennessee Titans-Kansas City Chiefs wild-card game with partner Sean McDonough.

And the Raiders made it worth it for Gruden to give up his job at ESPN. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Gruden’s deal is for 10 years and $100 million. It’s the longest coaching contract in NFL history, Schefter said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-jon-gruden-will-named-raiders-coach-tuesday-180529313.html

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000903044/article/raiders-prepping-10year-100m-deal-for-jon-gruden

Raiders prepping 10-year, $100M deal for Jon Gruden

Quote:

Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis is poised to commit to Jon Gruden for the next decade and pay a mountain of money for the privilege.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the Raiders are preparing a 10-year contract that is expected to eclipse $100 million, per sources informed of the deal.

The pact, once finalized, is believed to be the richest coaching contract in NFL history, according to Rapoport. NFL teams do not disclose financial details on coaching deals.

I guess if you want to get a guy like Gruden or Cowher out of the broadcast booth this is the kind of deal you are going to have to make.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

I heard he's making $6.5 million (or more) with ESPN
Edited by RaiderNation, Jan 5 2018, 04:14 PM.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

:hooray: :cheers: :drinking: :victory: :nana:
[twitter=RAIDERS/status/949833205066162176?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Funfinished-business-raiders-announce-jon-grudens-return-031734608.html]

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

*bump* for kato

PATruth
Member Avatar

I hope he takes a coaching job somewhere, I can't stand him as an announcer. He knows his sheit but he's annoying as hell.

Other than that the Raiders belong in Oakland. I'm really learning to hate the NFL..
Edited by PATruth, Jan 7 2018, 09:36 PM.
Texas Produces Double The Renewable Power As California At Almost Half The Price

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Good for you . No one gives a shiite what you think.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_G-skZPzh8

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Congratulations to the Raiders for bringing Gruden back to football. You might get a fine or something for violating the Rooney rule and or hiring a new head coach while you still have one on the payroll but you got your man. Frankly, I don't think Davis cares what the cost is.

Quote:

Quote:

Edited by Demagogue, Jan 10 2018, 05:57 PM.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

In the intro presser Reggie McKenzie was asked about the Rooney rule and he replied with two minority names, one of which was Tee Martin the USC OC. But yeah, it looks like the deal was done before any of it happened. Davis did say he'd been after Gruden at least annually for the last 6 years or since Al passed.
Edited by RaiderNation, Jan 10 2018, 06:13 PM.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
RaiderNation
Jan 10 2018, 06:09 PM
In the intro presser Reggie McKenzie was asked about the Rooney rule and he replied with two minority names, one of which was Tee Martin the USC OC.
From the second link I posted.

Quote:

Davis said that the agreement was solidified during a discussion on Christmas Eve. So while Gruden spent the rest of the season claiming during his ESPN work that the deal wasn’t done, it was done.

And Davis said that if Gruden hadn’t agreed to take the Raiders job, Del Rio probably would have remained in Oakland. Which means the job was never really open, and the Rooney Rule interviews of Tee Martin and Bobby Johnson were just a formality because the NFL requires them. Martin and Johnson never had a chance for the job because they were interviewing for a job that Gruden had already been offered and accepted.

It is doubtful that the NFL will punish them for it but in reality they had already come to an agreement with Gruden before ever interviewing those two guys. Additionally, had Gruden turned them down then they would have dept DelRio. So, the job was never open to anyone other than Gruden.

Personally I am not a fan of that rule but don't claim that you complied when there is absolutely zero chance that you were ever hiring either of the token black guys you had in for interviews.

As I said previously, I congratulate them and if we did not have TC and his puppet I would have wanted my team to do the same. Gruden is going to be epic in Vegas lol.
Edited by Demagogue, Jan 10 2018, 06:17 PM.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/11/nfl-will-look-into-raiders-head-coaching-hire/

NFL “will look into” Raiders’ head-coaching hire

The Fritz Pollard Alliance has changed its tune on the Raiders’ compliance with the Rooney Rule in connection with the hiring of coach Jon Gruden. The NFL may now do the same.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

If any team can get a pass, it's the Raiders. They've had black and hispanic head coaches (Art Shell and Tom Flores), the GM is black, and have had a female CEO in the past (Amy Trask).

Regardless, I think you're right, Mark Davis will pay whatever penalty and get on with life.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

NEW LAS VEGAS BILLBOARD

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Sports · Next Topic »
Add Reply