Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Share a true story; that you think most people won't believe.
Topic Started: Jan 3 2018, 01:11 PM (304 Views)
_g R_
Member Avatar

It doesn't necessarily have to be a personal experience as long as it's something that happened in real life so out of the ordinary that it seems too unbelievable to be true.

Here's something I'm sure at least some of you won't believe about me. I threw paper airplanes off the roof of the World Trade Center when I was 15 .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by _g R_, Jan 3 2018, 01:12 PM.
" When we amplify everything ,we hear nothing."
Jon Stewart
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

_g R_
Member Avatar

Since the suspense is killing everyone to find out how I managed to get away with this, I'll go ahead and tell you.

For the record, I was born in Brooklyn, but grew up in Ohio and so my first return back to NYC since 1961 was in 1976 to visit my Uncle Bob and hang out with my cousins for two weeks (during the Bicentennial 4th of July which was awesome).

Now my uncle worked on Wall Street in the daytime and at the World Trade Center in the evenings part time for Pasternick and Baum ( a brokerage firm on the 86th floor )where my cousin Jesse and I would go up and visit him.
And back then, security cameras and guards were almost nonexistent, so we had free reign to wander the whole building ( Tower One), including the fire escape to the roof where there was no alarm at the time.

Yes the world has changed forever my friends. So - long story short, one of our little adventures was to go out on the roof with a stack of paper from the office and soar paper airplanes off the edge of the building, which was about a 4' high concrete barrier. It was so windy up there you could just hold the planes up and let go-- and they would sometimes go until they disappeared - a lot would crash back into the building and swirl down to the street.

We did have one scary moment - a helecopter came out of nowhere and we thought it was the cops or somebody but then they landed over on Tower 2. And to this day, I've never told my uncle about that and I haven't seen him in over 20 years. After 9/11 blew his mind ( he watched the 2nd plane hit from the Staten Island Ferry ) he moved to Kentucky.
Jon Stewart

clone
Member Avatar
Director @ Center for Advanced Memetic Warfare
True story...

Posted Image
Political Correctness is the war on noticing things that are obvious and true.

_g R_
Member Avatar

When I was 10 or 11, I was bitten on the neck by a horse named Thunder.
Jon Stewart

clone
Member Avatar
_g R_
Apr 14 2018, 01:59 PM
When I was 10 or 11, I was bitten on the neck by a horse named Thunder.
So you were...

Posted Image

nNeo

_g R_
Jan 3 2018, 01:11 PM
Here's something I'm sure at least some of you won't believe about me. I threw paper airplanes off the roof of the World Trade Center when I was 15
I believe it. I did the same thing, though i was 17 or 18 at the time.
"You’ll have a lot of collateral damage.”

_g R_
Member Avatar

nNeo
Apr 14 2018, 07:54 PM
_g R_
Here's something I'm sure at least some of you won't believe about me. I threw paper airplanes off the roof of the World Trade Center when I was 15
We shot fireworks off of some of the tall apartment buildings uptown too.
We were downtown for the Bicentennial fireworks in 1976 ...I was 15 and my cousin hooked me up with a 17 year old Puerto Rican girl and I lost my 'virginity' under a boardwalk at Brighton Beach that week.

And on the subway ride back that night.
. :cheers:
Edited by _g R_, Apr 14 2018, 08:07 PM.
Jon Stewart

_g R_
Member Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fMk_GmVaLs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGbBvg0nnqM
Edited by _g R_, Apr 16 2018, 11:11 PM.
Jon Stewart

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

This picture is of a 1968 Olds Ninety Eight owned by the late, great Pat McLaughlin. I took the photo. We were up in the Angeles National Forest north of Pasadena, CA playing in the snow after a recent storm. We built this 4 foot tall snowball on the car’s roof and it was so heavy the roof caved until the headliner was about 6 inches off the front seat.
After we got it built and drank a ton of beer (we were all sh!tfaced) we embarked on the hour drive back down the mountain to our street racing hangout at the Winchell’s Donuts at Glenoaks Blvd and Providencia Ave, which we called ‘The Life’ a block from the Bob’s Big Boy on San Fernando Road which we called ‘The After Life’. The plan was to hang out at Winchell’s Saturday evening and have snowball fights. Unfortunately we never made it with all of the snow.
Coming down Sunland Blvd, we were approaching Glenoaks in Sun Valley CA and it had about a 100 yard left turn lane. Pat sped up some to make the green turn light, but there was a yellow Pinto station wagon in the lane that slammed on the brakes when the light turned yellow. We were committed, and Pat stood on the brakes and got that big boat stopped about 5 feet behind the Pinto.
The top half of that snowball sheared off and flew forward, slamming into the tailgate of the wagon, shattering the window, blowing the gate door forward about 2 feet in the cwenetr and blowing the quarter windows clean out of their gaskets, shattering them on the ground. OMG we all thought, we’re screwed now, being way drunk. Pat then did the single fastest thinking I’ve ever seen.
We all got out of the car, and the woman driving the Pinto did also. She was looking at her car in horror, muttering how did that happen over and over. Pat said are you alright? And she said yes, but how do I explain this to my husband. Pat looked her right in the eye and said ‘I have no idea where that thing came from! Look what it did to my roof!’ with a straight face. We all piled back in the Olds and drove off, and never heard a word about it. Funniest damn thing I’ve ever seen, and a true story, swear on my children!!!

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Pat_s_Olds_with_snowball.jpg (46.73 KB)
Edited by RaiderNation, Apr 19 2018, 05:43 PM.
Will Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."

ringotuna
Member Avatar

:rotflmao: ^^
Ringoism: Never underestimate the advantages of being underestimated.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

And all true, ringo. Funniest damn thing I've ever seen. In the photo, the guy whose head is over the top center of the snow is my friend Wes, on our right is his nephew, a guy named Dave on the left, and Pat on the right. R.I.P., Pat.
Edited by RaiderNation, Apr 19 2018, 06:00 PM.

_g R_
Member Avatar

RaiderNation
Apr 19 2018, 05:57 PM
And all true, ringo. Funniest damn thing I've ever seen. In the photo, the guy whose head is over the top center of the snow is my friend Wes, on our right is his nephew, a guy named Dave on the left, and Pat on the right. R.I.P., Pat.
" Must have been one of those rare snow-metorites."
Jon Stewart

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

That snowball weighed every bit of 400 lbs. Maybe 500 :lol:

_g R_
Member Avatar

RaiderNation
Apr 19 2018, 06:07 PM
That snowball weighed every bit of 400 lbs. Maybe 500 :lol:
I believe it. We built some pretty big snowmen growing up in NE Ohio .
Edited by _g R_, Apr 19 2018, 06:41 PM.
Jon Stewart

clone
Member Avatar
Quote:

Share a true story; that you think most people won't believe.

I've never faked a sarcasm in my life....

:dunno:

ringotuna
Member Avatar

I got a DWI when I was 16. How did I get out of it?...Lied to the Justice of the Peace...told him I bought my beer at his drive thru beer joint. :biggrin:
Ringoism: Never underestimate the advantages of being underestimated.

_g R_
Member Avatar

nNeo
_g R_
That's awesome.
I loved everything about that place . Sometimes, when I was there in the early 80's, I would go there just ride on the express elevators and hang around in the underground mall , and wherever you lived in NYC you could catch the subway train home from there. ( Or a limo or cab if you had money to burn )
Edited by _g R_, Jun 18 2018, 02:17 PM.
Jon Stewart

_g R_
Member Avatar

_g R_
Jun 18 2018, 02:14 PM
nNeo
_g R_
That's awesome.
I loved everything about that place . Sometimes, when I was there in the early 80's, I would go there just ride on the express elevators and hang around in the underground mall , and wherever you lived in NYC you could catch the subway train home from there. ( Or a limo or cab if you had money to burn )
* My uncle usually drove his car from Riverdale to downtown but traffic sucked most of the time and he had to pay ridiculous parking fees, and he didn't care.
Jon Stewart

clone
Member Avatar
Quote:

Share a true story

I Just Made My Last Payment On My Columbia House Record Club Account!!

_g R_
Member Avatar

The Fed Ex lady pulled up the driveway and caught me peeing
in the front yard one time.
Jon Stewart

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · FRIENDSHIP, FAMILY & FUN · Next Topic »
Add Reply