Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Oprah for President?
Topic Started: Jan 8 2018, 01:20 PM (429 Views)
BuckFan

After last night it is an interesting discussion.

My problem is she basically has the same CV as the current President and I do not believe that background prepared him for the Presidency. I respect her and her accomplishments but I do not believe that elevates her to the top job. I would like to see her run for a lower office or serve in a cabinet before running.

The problem for her is that Illinois has two Democrat Senators so if she ran for the Senate one of them would have to not run.

Who else do we see stepping up for a Presidential run?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

70-101
Member Avatar

Bernie and maybe Joe Kennedy III
“U bum. ... Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!" - LeBron James, addressing Trump directly in a tweet.

BuckFan

70-101
Jan 8 2018, 01:31 PM
Bernie and maybe Joe Kennedy III
Bernie is where Bernie needs to be. I still cannot support him for President. He makes good points but he is more of a professor than a President. I really have a problem with him reverting to be an Independent and not a Democrat. I cannot take him seriously as a Party leader when he won't identify with the Party unless it is convenient.

Kennedy is interesting and a potential up and coming Democrat leader. He needs to work to raise his profile more. Outside of MA I doubt he is well known.

Coast2coast

No!

mysysail
Member Avatar
Global_Hick
Oprah is unfit to be Prez. of the U.S.

Opinionated
Member Avatar

If you give me a choice between Clinton and Winfrey for the nomination, I'm going Winfrey. If you give me a choice between Trump and Winfrey for the election, I'm going Winfrey.

I don't think Winfrey would be an ideal choice or should be the first choice. I do think she could defeat Trump. But at this point, pretty much any Democrat that's breathing and isn't Hillary Clinton, and maybe even Hillary, could defeat Trump.

I wouldn't mind seeing Biden run, because I like the guy and I think he could win. I'd support Sanders or Warren, no question. Hell, if Al Franken wanted to take a shot at it, I think he could probably beat Trump, even with his issues.

Coast2coast

I could not vote for Ms. Winfrey if that was the Democratic choice for a candidate. I would have to do a write in.
I have to put the country first. Unqualified individuals in that office is not putting the country first, even they support beliefs, ideas and agenda items I support.

Edited by Coast2coast, Jan 10 2018, 10:00 PM.

Opinionated
Member Avatar

So, when Trump wins we'd get to blame you. :)

Attaburnsinhell

Winfrey is not going to be the dem nominee

This is a dumb idea floated by the media, but from what Ive seen most dem supporters are quite cold to the idea

When the dem establishment announced that Hillary was to be annointed the nominee back in 2014, that gave the republicans two years to smear and tear down her image with Benghazi hearings, along with the media. She went from a 65% approval rating in 2014 to a 45% approval in 2016

What the dems should do is field at least 6 candidates this time and make them all stay in the race until the convention. That way the rightwing smear machine cant focus in on a single target until a month before the election, not enough time to do damage

BuckFan

I agree that she is not going to run. I would like to see these high profile names take a more active role in getting out in front of the people and espousing Party ideals. We need to win back the voters that defected to Trump since many of them are having second thoughts. Oprah would play well with that crowd and could really counter the Trump populism BS

70-101
Member Avatar

Oprah's finance Stedman Graham said, “she would absolutely do it” - several friends said she's “actively thinking” about running. Trump said recently he doesn't think she's going to run - which just doubled the odds she will.

Besides all, that Alfred E. Newman with his cousin Norman as his VP nominee could beat Trump in 2020, with the odds Trump is still in office in two years not very good at all.
“U bum. ... Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!" - LeBron James, addressing Trump directly in a tweet.

Attaburnsinhell

70-101
Jan 12 2018, 03:01 PM
Oprah's finance Stedman Graham said, “she would absolutely do it” - several friends said she's “actively thinking” about running. Trump said recently he doesn't think she's going to run - which just doubled the odds she will.

Besides all, that Alfred E. Newman with his cousin Norman as his VP nominee could beat Trump in 2020, with the odds Trump is still in office in two years not very good at all.
Like Trump, Oprah has an over inflated ego

Her whole schtick is to bathe in the love and devotion of her followers

This is done through her give aways to her audience, everything from fruit baskets to cars

Why wont she run?

There's two types of thinking towards her - love and indifference. Either you think she's wonderful or you dont give her much thought

But the moment she has to take a stand on some matter like immigration, she'll encounter a third emotion - hatred

Oprah would probably fall on the semi-liberal side on most issues, which will encur the wrath of the right like a blow torch, or she'll go the wishy-washy path of trying to split the difference, which will then enrage both sides. Oprah world would collapse under the strain

BuckFan

Attaburnsinhell
Jan 13 2018, 10:55 AM
70-101
Jan 12 2018, 03:01 PM

Like Trump, Oprah has an over inflated ego

Her whole schtick is to bathe in the love and devotion of her followers

This is done through her give aways to her audience, everything from fruit baskets to cars

Why wont she run?

There's two types of thinking towards her - love and indifference. Either you think she's wonderful or you dont give her much thought

But the moment she has to take a stand on some matter like immigration, she'll encounter a third emotion - hatred

Oprah would probably fall on the semi-liberal side on most issues, which will encur the wrath of the right like a blow torch, or she'll go the wishy-washy path of trying to split the difference, which will then enrage both sides. Oprah world would collapse under the strain
This may be a bit harsh but may be very accurate

That is why I said earlier I think she needs to start in a lower election and get her feet under her and get a political reputation. I'd see her going for a Senate seat ala Clinton. That is even a little too high but I doubt with her celebrity she would go lower.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Buck, I agree, but she'd be a huge upgrade from the current imbecile. AND she'd have Obama to lean on.
Will Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."

Mystique
Member Avatar

Being on TV shouldn't be the prelude to the primaries.
JILL STEIN OR BUST 2016

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Liberal & Democrat.com/Democratic politics forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply