Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Life for Steel Plant Perks Up Depressed Illinois Town
Topic Started: Mar 12 2018, 09:36 AM (103 Views)
PATruth
Member Avatar

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/new-life-for-steel-plant-perks-up-depressed-illinois-town/ar-BBK6yGp?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

GRANITE CITY, Ill.—Ever since the layoffs a few years ago, many residents here had wondered when the local steel plant would again fire up its furnaces—or close forever.

Not only were hundreds of steelworkers left jobless when United States Steel Corp. scaled down its operations in Granite City, Ill., in 2015, but lunch deliveries to the plant vanished for a local diner while a shoe store’s work-boot sales plummeted. At least 26 businesses closed within a year, according to an area chamber of commerce.
"No. No he won't. We'll stop it."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George Aligator
Member Avatar

The tariffs are not yet in effect. Trump has already backed off his original pronouncement as regard to the biggest maker of imported steel, Canada. One has to conclude that this partial reopening of the Il. plant is a political public relations move like the employee bonuses made when the new tax bill was passed, rather than a result of increased US demand.
Do not feed the traitor trolls

PATruth
Member Avatar

George Aligator
Mar 13 2018, 11:51 AM
The tariffs are not yet in effect. Trump has already backed off his original pronouncement as regard to the biggest maker of imported steel, Canada. One has to conclude that this partial reopening of the Il. plant is a political public relations move like the employee bonuses made when the new tax bill was passed, rather than a result of increased US demand.
Businesses act on expectations and optimism. Optimism is finally back after 8 years of regulations, tax increases and public scoldings.

Be happy, these are good jobs with benefits.
Edited by PATruth, Mar 13 2018, 12:01 PM.

clone
Member Avatar
Director @ Center for Advanced Memetic Warfare
PATruth
Mar 13 2018, 12:00 PM
George Aligator
Businesses act on expectations and optimism. Optimism is finally back after 8 years of regulations, tax increases and public scoldings.

Small Business Optimism at Second Highest Level in US History – Best Since Reagan in 1983

LINK
Only liberals can choose not to go down the road to widespread, systematic violence.

George Aligator
Member Avatar

PATruth
George Aligator

I certainly do celebrate expansion of organized labor and basic industry. I remember back when you and I were both new to P.com when I posted the MLP proposal for carefully targeted national tariffs calculated to bring the US trade deficits to zero. I was vigorously opposed by PATruth who argued that such tariffs were a form of government subsidy and so harmful to the economy. Back then, Professor Truthie, as I used to call him, was a passionate defender of the Republican free trade doctrine, citing his banking experience and his wife's work for a Chinese company as credentials for his expertise in economics and foreign trade. What ever happened to that guy anyway?
Do not feed the traitor trolls

BuckFan

George Aligator
Mar 13 2018, 01:03 PM
PATruth
George Aligator

I certainly do celebrate expansion of organized labor and basic industry. I remember back when you and I were both new to P.com when I posted the MLP proposal for carefully targeted national tariffs calculated to bring the US trade deficits to zero. I was vigorously opposed by PATruth who argued that such tariffs were a form of government subsidy and so harmful to the economy. Back then, Professor Truthie, as I used to call him, was a passionate defender of the Republican free trade doctrine, citing his banking experience and his wife's work for a Chinese company as credentials for his expertise in economics and foreign trade. What ever happened to that guy anyway?
He got Trumped

PATruth
Member Avatar

George Aligator
Mar 13 2018, 01:03 PM
PATruth
George Aligator

Same person, although my wife has never worked for a Chinese company so you may be confusing me with someone else. You need to understand the difference between protectionism, which I don't advocate and protecting US companies from dumping. Fair trade is all about the details, what are true costs and when is a country dumping product below costs? Environmental costs need to added into the equation as well, unless of course you want to penalize environmentally clean producers? There is also an element to national interest. Would we be vulnerable if we produced no steel, no weapons or had to import all our energy?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · UnitedStates.com DOMESTIC U.S. news · Next Topic »
Add Reply