Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Red Cross Built Exactly 6 Homes For Haiti With Nearly Half A Billion Dollars In Donations
Topic Started: Mar 12 2018, 01:59 PM (296 Views)
_g R_
Member Avatar

After the devastating 2010 earthquake plans were made by the Red Cross to help build hundreds of thousands of homes.But the plans fell through and the pitiful number of homes that have been built since then is just six.

The Red Cross announced plans to build no less than 130,000 homes for survivors of the earthquake, many of whom were left with absolutely nothing.

There was a generous influx of relief from people all across the world, totaling half a billion dollars, but a series of bungling errors has led to the halted plans, while many doubt if the houses will ever be built.

To this day many of the areas hit by the earthquake have not been rebuilt, many living in shacks cobbled together from debris and little, if any access to clean water.

Edited by _g R_, Mar 12 2018, 01:59 PM.
Changes and progress very rarely are gifts from above. They come out of struggles from below. Noam Chomsky
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ringotuna
Member Avatar

http://www.redcross.org/news/article/The-Real-Story-of-the-6-Homes-Answering-Questions-about-Haiti
Ringoism: Never underestimate the advantages of being underestimated.

Robert Stout
Member Avatar

I hate the Red Cross...It is a phony charity which only benefits its staff.............. :mad:
Jesus can raise the dead, but he can't fix stupid

ringotuna
Member Avatar

Robert Stout
Mar 13 2018, 06:08 AM
I hate the Red Cross...It is a phony charity which only benefits its staff.............. :mad:
I hate liver and onions.

_gR's article leaves a gaping hole in the details, specifically 'where the money went'. Such gaps are like pheromones to conspiracy nutjobs eager to fill them with gross speculation.

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

_g R_
Mar 12 2018, 01:59 PM
After the devastating 2010 earthquake plans were made by the Red Cross to help build hundreds of thousands of homes.But the plans fell through and the pitiful number of homes that have been built since then is just six.

The Red Cross announced plans to build no less than 130,000 homes for survivors of the earthquake, many of whom were left with absolutely nothing.

There was a generous influx of relief from people all across the world, totaling half a billion dollars, but a series of bungling errors has led to the halted plans, while many doubt if the houses will ever be built.

To this day many of the areas hit by the earthquake have not been rebuilt, many living in shacks cobbled together from debris and little, if any access to clean water.
Here's the actual link, since gr hid it so well ... http://truthcommand.com/2017/10/red-cross-built-exactly-6-homes-haiti-nearly-half-billion-dollars-donations/

Will Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

ringotuna
Mar 13 2018, 04:41 AM
Oh, you mean there's another side to the story? :rotflmao: Color me shocked ...

From the OP: "Leaked memos from the company show how many of the errors that have hindered the building process come from within the company,"

Really? How about some quotes from these alleged 'memos'. Better yet, how about posting these alleged 'memos'?

This smells like UUU to me.

Edited by RaiderNation, Mar 13 2018, 06:59 AM.

ringotuna
Member Avatar

RaiderNation
Mar 13 2018, 06:56 AM
_g R_

Here's the actual link, since gr hid it so well ... http://truthcommand.com/2017/10/red-cross-built-exactly-6-homes-haiti-nearly-half-billion-dollars-donations/

The bloggers at TruthCommand know how to manipulate the weak minded. Half the truth is the best lie.

ringotuna
Member Avatar

RaiderNation
Mar 13 2018, 06:57 AM
ringotuna
Mar 13 2018, 04:41 AM
Oh, you mean there's another side to the story? :rotflmao: Color me shocked ...

From the OP: "Leaked memos from the company show how many of the errors that have hindered the building process come from within the company,"

Really? How about some quotes from these alleged 'memos'. Better yet, how about posting these alleged 'memos'?

This smells like UUU to me.

By the most generous measure...it might belong on MFAB. The site is nothing but a venue for bloggers.

ringotuna
Member Avatar

RaiderNation
Mar 13 2018, 06:56 AM
_g R_

I wonder why he would do that?

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Didn't want anyone to see the BS site it came from

_g R_
Member Avatar

_g R_

Hiding it ? :rollseyes:
After
Changes and progress very rarely are gifts from above. They come out of struggles from below. Noam Chomsky

_g R_
Member Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeKZSz_w-Pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApcqXijVzYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYVN1wIsIjo

PATruth
Member Avatar

"Did the American Red Cross only build “6” new permanent homes? Yes, these were part of a pilot project outside of Port-au-Prince. As the project progressed, we learned a number of lessons that helped us revise our long-term shelter plans. The solutions we decided on ultimately helped more people than can be served through new construction efforts and could be implemented faster, helping people living in camps get back into safer homes and conditions sooner."

The Red Cross reports annually how we spend donor dollars on our website and break it down according to sector. We raised $488 million for our work in Haiti and here is how our spent and committed funds have been allocated:

Emergency relief: $66 million
Shelter: $173 million
Health: $73 million
Water and sanitation: $47 million
Livelihoods: $48 million
Disaster preparedness: $56 million
Cholera prevention: $25 million

The good news is if you don't like the Red Cross you aren't forced to contribute. Don't you wish we could say the same thing about government charities?
"No. No he won't. We'll stop it."

ringotuna
Member Avatar

PATruth
Mar 13 2018, 11:30 AM
"Did the American Red Cross only build “6” new permanent homes? Yes, these were part of a pilot project outside of Port-au-Prince. As the project progressed, we learned a number of lessons that helped us revise our long-term shelter plans. The solutions we decided on ultimately helped more people than can be served through new construction efforts and could be implemented faster, helping people living in camps get back into safer homes and conditions sooner."

The Red Cross reports annually how we spend donor dollars on our website and break it down according to sector. We raised $488 million for our work in Haiti and here is how our spent and committed funds have been allocated:

Emergency relief: $66 million
Shelter: $173 million
Health: $73 million
Water and sanitation: $47 million
Livelihoods: $48 million
Disaster preparedness: $56 million
Cholera prevention: $25 million

The good news is if you don't like the Red Cross you aren't forced to contribute. Don't you wish we could say the same thing about government charities?
I wonder why gr's bloggers left that part out? :dunno:
Edited by ringotuna, Mar 13 2018, 11:41 AM.

_g R_
Member Avatar

This is a satellite image of Haiti (left) and Dominican Republic at night, each with the same population - 10.8 million.
Get the picture ?

Posted Image

PATruth
Member Avatar

So, what's your point? Is the Red Cross responsible for rebuilding Haiti? Do you understand what charities do and their limitations?

_g R_
Member Avatar

PATruth
Mar 13 2018, 12:04 PM
So, what's your point? Is the Red Cross responsible for rebuilding Haiti? Do you understand what charities do and their limitations?
I'm just doing a little unbiased investigative journalism, as you can see from the above sources I've provided. You're welcome.

Welcome to the drone zone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkCwBz-2aLI
Edited by _g R_, Mar 13 2018, 12:17 PM.

PATruth
Member Avatar

_g R_
Mar 13 2018, 12:16 PM
PATruth
I'm just doing a little unbiased investigative journalism, as you can see from the above sources I've provided. You're welcome.

Your "unbiased investigative journalism" turned out to be extremely biased. You were hoping for a "gotcha" moment and you ended up embarrassed and red faced.

_g R_
Member Avatar

PATruth
Mar 13 2018, 12:52 PM
_g R_
PATruth
I'm just doing a little unbiased investigative journalism, as you can see from the above[/url] sources I've provided. You're welcome.

Your "unbiased investigative journalism" turned out to be extremely biased. You were hoping for a "gotcha" moment and you ended up embarrassed and red faced.
I'm sure this lowers your expectations of me. Will it help if I say investigative 'reporter' instead of journalist from now on ?
Edited by _g R_, Mar 13 2018, 01:05 PM.

PATruth
Member Avatar

_g R_
Mar 13 2018, 01:04 PM
PATruth
Mar 13 2018, 12:52 PM
_g R_
PATruth
I'm just doing a little unbiased investigative journalism, as you can see from the above[/url] sources I've provided. You're welcome.

I'm sure this lowers your expectations of me. Will it help if I say investigative 'reporter' instead of journalist from now on ?
My opinion of you remains unchanged, I would however suggest you read the article and not just the headline. Headlines are bait, used to attract readers.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Op EDITORIALS: personal & political governance · Next Topic »
Add Reply