Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Happy Easter 2018
Topic Started: Apr 1 2018, 04:14 AM (543 Views)
Stef
Member Avatar

Happy Easter everyone! :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1KygRlBTh7Dg9HKCCr658MD/how-to-make-easter-mean-more

In friendship,
Stef
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. – Aesop
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BigE

Happy Easter Brother!

Tsalagi
Member Avatar

A happy Easter to his followers

RaiderNation
Member Avatar

Tanks, Stef, and the same to you and to all.
Will Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."

Skeptic1

Happy Easter to all you believers!

Here is my favorite Easter joke:

At church service on Easter Sunday the preacher called all of the young children to the front of the church to discuss the meaning of Easter.

The children sat in a circle around the preacher as he asked, "Who knows what Resurrection means?"

None of the children knew, but a little girl raised her hand and said,
"I don't know what Resurrection means, but if you have one for four hours you have to see a doctor."

:rotflmao: :cheers:

clone
Member Avatar
Director @ Center for Advanced Memetic Warfare
Tsalagi
Apr 1 2018, 10:17 AM
A happy Easter to his followers
[twitter=PrisonPlanet/status/980487812205240321]
Only liberals can choose not to go down the road to widespread, systematic violence.

Realitycheck
Member Avatar

http://pocm.info/ Happy Eostre. Another purloined pagan celebration.
Religion in general and xianity in particular, is the worst scourge, the foulest plague to ever beset mankind.

BigE

Skeptic1
Apr 1 2018, 11:32 AM
Happy Easter to all you believers!

Here is my favorite Easter joke:

At church service on Easter Sunday the preacher called all of the young children to the front of the church to discuss the meaning of Easter.

The children sat in a circle around the preacher as he asked, "Who knows what Resurrection means?"

None of the children knew, but a little girl raised her hand and said,
"I don't know what Resurrection means, but if you have one for four hours you have to see a doctor."

:rotflmao: :cheers:

A Happy Easter to you too!

Love the joke!

Katoblue
Member Avatar

Happy Easter! :victory:

Posted Image
Killary, DNC, Obummer's DOJ and FBI all Lied and Spied and Good People Died!

seraphim
Member Avatar

Happy Easter, a.k.a. Resurrection Sunday - He Is Risen!
Soli Deo gloria

_g R_
Member Avatar

Happy Easter and Happy April fool's day !
http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_times_has_Easter_been_on_April_1
Changes and progress very rarely are gifts from above. They come out of struggles from below. Noam Chomsky

mysysail
Member Avatar
Global_Hick
Happy Easter to those who celebrate it.

Stef
Member Avatar

Thank you all for your responses and I hope you all had a great day yesterday.

Stef

Realitycheck
Member Avatar

seraphim
Apr 2 2018, 12:53 AM
Happy Easter, a.k.a. Resurrection Sunday - He Is Risen!
What never fell cannot rise.
Religion in general and xianity in particular, is the worst scourge, the foulest plague to ever beset mankind.

clone
Member Avatar
Director @ Center for Advanced Memetic Warfare
[twitter=hale_razor/status/980439322426990595]
Only liberals can choose not to go down the road to widespread, systematic violence.

Stef
Member Avatar

I see that our resident theologian graced us with his usual in depth knowledge of all things related to Christianity and its history.

Not that it is that important and certainly it was not the spirit of this thread, but hey, why not help when one can, right?
Indeed, way back in history, Christians tried to move away altogether from some pagan occasions and convert some others into Christian celebrations.

Anyway, with regard to the origin of the name of the festivity this thread relates to ... well, I prefer to rely on sources which are not driven by conspiracy agendas.
For example, the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Easter-holiday

An excerpt from this very short article. (underline mine)
“The English word Easter, which parallels the German word Ostern, is of uncertain origin. One view, expounded by the Venerable Bede in the 8th century, was that it derived from Eostre, or Eostrae, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility. This view presumes—as does the view associating the origin of Christmas on December 25 with pagan celebrations of the winter solstice—that Christians appropriated pagan names and holidays for their highest festivals. Given the determination with which Christians combated all forms of paganism (the belief in multiple deities), this appears a rather dubious presumption. There is now widespread consensus that the word derives from the Christian designation of Easter week as in albis, a Latin phrase that was understood as the plural of alba (“dawn”) and became eostarum in Old High German, the precursor of the modern German and English term. The Latin and Greek Pascha (“Passover”) provides the root for Pâques, the French word for Easter.”

Or, as some of our friends in this Forum know, Pascua in Spanish, or Pasqua in Italian, etc., etc.

In any event, I opened this thread in genuine friendship and wanted to keep it simple and friendly. Most contributors clearly understood the spirit.
It seems that some want to convert it into a contentious and negative debate. They are of course free to do so but I'll leave it here.

Stef
Edited by Stef, Apr 2 2018, 01:09 PM.

Realitycheck
Member Avatar

Stef
Apr 2 2018, 01:06 PM
I see that our resident theologian graced us with his usual in depth knowledge of all things related to Christianity and its history.

Not that it is that important and certainly it was not the spirit of this thread, but hey, why not help when one can, right?
Indeed, way back in history, Christians tried to move away altogether from some pagan occasions and convert some others into Christian celebrations.

Anyway, with regard to the origin of the name of the festivity this thread relates to ... well, I prefer to rely on sources which are not driven by conspiracy agendas.
For example, the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Easter-holiday

An excerpt from this very short article. (underline mine)
“The English word Easter, which parallels the German word Ostern, is of uncertain origin. One view, expounded by the Venerable Bede in the 8th century, was that it derived from Eostre, or Eostrae, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility. This view presumes—as does the view associating the origin of Christmas on December 25 with pagan celebrations of the winter solstice—that Christians appropriated pagan names and holidays for their highest festivals. Given the determination with which Christians combated all forms of paganism (the belief in multiple deities), this appears a rather dubious presumption. There is now widespread consensus that the word derives from the Christian designation of Easter week as in albis, a Latin phrase that was understood as the plural of alba (“dawn”) and became eostarum in Old High German, the precursor of the modern German and English term. The Latin and Greek Pascha (“Passover”) provides the root for Pâques, the French word for Easter.”

Or, as some of our friends in this Forum know, Pascua in Spanish, or Pasqua in Italian, etc., etc.

In any event, I opened this thread in genuine friendship and wanted to keep it simple and friendly. Most contributors clearly understood the spirit.
It seems that some want to convert it into a contentious and negative debate. They are of course free to do so but I'll leave it here.

Stef
Not sure I'd put much faith in the Venerable Bede in these more enlightened days. Still, more sources than your apologetic have Eostre as the pagan root of you Easter. As well xmas is also another purloined pagan holiday/festival. Of course your mythical man is also an adaptation of several ancient pagan rising god myths. Nothing preserves paganism with more loyalty than xianity. Nore is their a larger conspiracy in the history of mankind than that conspiracy which claims their is a god and there was a jesus.

BigE

Realitycheck
Apr 3 2018, 12:12 PM
None is their a larger conspiracy in the history of mankind than that conspiracy which claims their is a god and there was a jesus.
Who specifically - was involved in this conspiracy you claim?

Realitycheck
Member Avatar

BigE
Apr 3 2018, 03:00 PM
Realitycheck
None is their a larger conspiracy in the history of mankind than that conspiracy which claims their is a god and there was a jesus.
Everyone who was and is part of the Church Of The pedophile.

BigE

Realitycheck
Apr 3 2018, 03:54 PM
BigE
Apr 3 2018, 03:00 PM
Realitycheck
Everyone who was and is part of the Church Of The pedophile.
I mean who created the Jesus myth you're so adamant that happened?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · RELIGION+: all faiths & views · Next Topic »
Add Reply