Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Happy 75th Anniversary to the Jeep
Topic Started: Aug 14 2016, 07:19 AM (1,818 Views)
Paula Ticks

http://taskandpurpose.com/badass-jeep-still-trucking-75-years/

The iconic Jeep was born out of wartime necessity. Now it’s 75 years old and tougher than ever.

Shortly before the start of World War II, the Department of War decided it would require a light reconnaissance vehicle. It started out by soliciting 135 manufacturers in 1940, including Ford, American Bantam Car Company, and Willys Overland Motors.

Thus the first General Purpose vehicles were born: The Willys Quad and the Ford “Pygmy.” Though the etymology is debated, lore suggests that General Purpose or G.P. was slurred to “jeep,” and the name stuck. However, this can’t be confirmed.

The CJ-1, or Civilian Jeep 1, was fielded in May of 1945. It would eventually undergo seven iterations before being replaced in 1987 by the wildly popular Jeep Wrangler that we still see produced today.

And now, 75 years after the release of the very first General Purpose vehicle, Jeep has fielded dozens of models of sport utility vehicles across the defense and civilian space, and become a legend in the automobile industry.
Edited by Paula Ticks, Aug 14 2016, 07:28 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paula Ticks

Posted Image

Close to 1000 Jeeps from all eras 'strutted their stuff' in Toledo, Ohio--Home of the Jeep. The parade had Jeep owners from all over the U.S. and Canada participating.

Happy Anniversary Jeep.

mysysail
Member Avatar
Global_Hick
Happy Anniversary, Jeep!

70-101
Member Avatar

My only experience with Jeeps is the Vietnam era M-38 which had a single barrel carb, heavy duty suspension, 24 V electrical system - and a top speed of about 53 MPH down hill, unloaded.

:shakeshead:

Posted Image
"We should not confuse populism with popularity" - R. Wolffe

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

I've been fortunate enough to go on 5 Jeepers' Jamborees in the Sierras back in the 80's and 90's, where you could see about every type ever built or modified.

The start in Georgetown, CA:
Posted Image

On the trail:
Posted Image
Posted Image

At the Rubicon Springs camp:
Posted Image

It's an annual celebration of the brand.

https://www.jeepersjamboree.com/geninfo.html

I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.

Paula Ticks

Posted Image

In the Toledo parade, there was a Jeep on a flat-bed truck said to be the rare '76 CJ-5 Super Jeep made for the Bicentennial like the one pictured above.

Best Jeep license plate: Grimm JPR

Dem4life

Happy Anniversary from Corporal Klinger!!!

Posted Image
Edited by Dem4life, Aug 14 2016, 01:09 PM.

mysysail
Member Avatar
Global_Hick
Dem4life
Aug 14 2016, 01:08 PM
Happy Anniversary from Corporal Klinger!!!

Posted Image
Corporal Klinger from MASH rocks! :guitar:

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

where's his dress?
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.

edro14

wilmywood8455
Aug 14 2016, 06:49 PM
where's his dress?
In your closet.

No syi intended.
Edited by edro14, Aug 15 2016, 09:10 PM.

nNeo

70-101
Aug 14 2016, 08:03 AM
My only experience with Jeeps is the Vietnam era M-38 which had a single barrel carb, heavy duty suspension, 24 V electrical system - and a top speed of about 53 MPH down hill, unloaded.

Posted Image
That gives it about +5 mph on my old Willys, unloaded, downhill, with a tail wind.
It went anywhere though. Well almost. It finally went only halfway across a river. RIP. Great little thing it was.

Had a CJ and a Cherokee too. Not sure how I feel about the new ones.
The steel of freedom does not stain

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

edro14
Aug 15 2016, 09:01 PM
wilmywood8455
where's his dress?
In your closet.

No syi intended.
Nice passive/aggressive insult on a no hostility board.

70-101
Member Avatar

nNeo
Aug 16 2016, 12:40 AM
70-101
Aug 14 2016, 08:03 AM

Posted Image
That gives it about +5 mph on my old Willys, unloaded, downhill, with a tail wind.
It went anywhere though. Well almost. It finally went only halfway across a river. RIP. Great little thing it was.

Had a CJ and a Cherokee too. Not sure how I feel about the new ones.
The only thing that really scared me about those old 50-60s Jeeps was wet road cornering, above 30 MPH on a wet road you risk flipping over, with no seat belts or roll bar to help save you. I believe some of the poor cornering and wet road sliding was caused by the military tires - that basically run forever, in theory anyway.

Posted Image

This is a 2012 Jeep FC Concept vehicle based on the 50's - 60's era Jeep FC-150 go anywhere work truck.

"We should not confuse populism with popularity" - R. Wolffe

mysysail
Member Avatar
Global_Hick
Posted Image

edro14

wilmywood8455
Aug 16 2016, 05:30 AM
edro14
wilmywood8455
where's his dress?
In your closet.

No syi intended.

Was going to comment on it and your pm just landed. Commented there. Thanks was not intending to do an syi.

edro14

mysysail
Aug 16 2016, 10:11 AM
Posted Image
Sloppy steering design led to Military jeeps being easy to flip especially in muddy roads. Plus those 3/4 ton trucks were hard to steer, they too slip all over the place.

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

edro14
Aug 16 2016, 05:43 PM
wilmywood8455
Aug 16 2016, 05:30 AM
edro14

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

Was going to comment on it and your pm just landed. Commented there. Thanks was not intending to do an syi.
No problem, just be more careful. Stay clean for a while and I'll take the dot off.

edro14

Thanks Wilmy.

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

You trying to get your post count up?

:sarcasmalert:

mysysail
Member Avatar
Global_Hick
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Automotive · Next Topic »
Add Reply